Associate Professor, Murmansk State Humanities University
The Region’s Environmental Education Medium as a Factor of Sustainable Development
The ideas of sustainable development were characteristic of the world order of the indigenous peoples of the Russian North. The lifestyle of these peoples was the environment that formed cultural-behavioral stereotypes; traditions and customs reflected the experience of interaction between people and nature. Today, however, the «gap» between generations, the industrial development of the North, and urbanization processes lead to the loss of connections that help harmonize the relations between people and nature.
We believe that one of the most important factors of the sustainable development of Murmansk oblast is the regional environmental education medium that may be presented as a medium that «nourishes the environmental culture of individuals and society.»
The following characteristics of the modern environmental education medium of the Murmansk region may be singled out:
- the objective nature of the development of the region’s environmental education medium;
- the expansion and variability of the environmental education medium in time and space;
- the saturation of the environmental education medium with «educational products» for different groups of «consumers»; and
- the mutual penetration and interaction of local environmental education micromedia at the regional level.
Problems of the modern environmental education medium of the Murmansk region:
- the incomplete use of the resource potential of the region’s environmental education medium;
- the insufficient coordination between structural components of formal and informal education;
- the possibility that the environmental education medium may negatively affect the formation of the population’s value system; and
- the absence of an integral concept of the development of the region’s environmental education medium.