The Institute of Sustainable Development of the Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation — is a public policy institute aimed to search ways for addressing social, economic, and environmental problems in the interests of civil society. It is a joint program of the Center for Russian Environmental Policy and the Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation.
The Institute of Sustainable Development as a public policy institute is aimed to search ways for addressing social, economic, and environmental problems to ensure sustainable development in the interests of civil society.
The Institute is an association of experts and activists in the area of ecology, economics, and sustainable development.
The Institute’s underlying activity is to ensure the implementation of the chief priority: increasing the value of nature and its resources as well as humans, their life and health — the aspects that determine the level of development of a society and its success on the way towards sustainability.
The purpose of the Institute is to develop the basics of national environmental policy and sustainable development policy. Among the focus areas are improving energy efficiency and decreasing nature intensity, promoting mechanisms for sustainable nature management, implementing environmental charge for ecosystem services (including mechanism of the Kyoto Protocol and its current development), and building an ecological culture.
Challenges facing the Institute:
- To consolidate the efforts of the expert community to ensure Russia’s sustainable development.
- To build a public policy to promote sustainable development.
- To assist in designing and implementing a government policy to promote sustainable development.
- To encourage civic engagement and the consolidation of all societal sectors, including the state, businesses, and the general public, to address sustainability issues.
- To establish institutes for sustainable development in the regions.
Forms of work:
- Expert developments in the focus areas of environmental policy and sustainable development presented as publications, analytical reviews, appeals.
- Holding seminars and conferences along important lines of environmental policy and sustainable development.
- Supporting activities of the Social Forum for Energy Efficiency and Climate Change and engaging representatives of civil society, the expert community, businesses, and governance in the Forum’s work.